Pic(k) of the week 48: ARABIAN ORYX AERIAL

During the last 10 years, Aerial photography has started to take a much more important role in how I want to portray myself as a photographer. After having done classic aerial photography from aircraft for more than a decade, it was only two years ago, that I picked up my first drone. For me there is clearly place for both aerial photography platforms. Most of the time however, one is better suited than the other. 

In the image below, of a group of Arabian Oryx's, using a drone is a much easier (and cheaper) compared to chartering a helicopter. Secondly, when photographing wildlife, the noise of an aircraft/helicopter is often disturbing the animals more, especially when flying low. Once again, as a photographer it is our duty to pick up the right tool for the right job!  

French photographer Yann Arthus-Bertrand, has been a huge inspiration when it comes to Aerial photography for me... More importantly his shots of camels in the desert casting amazing shadows on the surroundings has been the main driver for me to pick up a drone. Over the last 18 months, I've been quite successful in shooting some camel shadow images myself. One of them appeared in a Pic(k) of the week post earlier this year (click here). Since the camels have been pretty well covered now, I've been on the look-out for an opportunity to photograph other animals from the air. High on the list was the Arabian Oryx, which with its distinctive shape, makes it a great candidate.

Typically one is best to shoot shadow images like these, not too close to sunset/sunrise as the shadow contrast is reduced quite a bit in lower light. It always is a compromise between the contrast and the angle of the sun forming the shadow. Generally I've had the best luck about 1,5 to 2 hours after sunrise and before sunset. One of the additional challenges in the image below was the high dynamic range between the bright white animals and the much darker sand.

Image details:

  • DJI Mavic 2 Pro
  • ISO 100, 1/2000s, f2.8
  • RAW development in Lightroom Classic
  • DxO ColorEfex pro for optimal contrast (using Contrast Color Range filte
For those that are not familiar with the animal, in the early 1970s, the Arabian Oryx was considered all but vanished due to hunting and poaching. Today, thanks to efforts spearheaded by Saudi Arabia and the UAE, experts are citing the swell in its numbers as one of the world’s biggest conservation success stories.

The day the image above was shot, I witnessed a birth of a new Oryx; something that will stay with me forever! Check out my Nature of the UAE gallery for more. 
The Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve (DDCR), has been one of the leaders in bringing back the Oryx from an all time low 40 years ago. DDCR, is a 225-square-kilometre natural reserve in the emirate of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. It was established by Emiri decree on 9 January 2002 and comprises some 5% of the Emirate of Dubai's total landmass. Those visiting the UAE, make sure to visit them through an organized tour. 

For those interested in my Aerial photography, I still have a few copies left of my recently published magazine/book called "FOCUS ON THE WORLD BELOW". If you live in the UAE, I can provide you a signed copy at a lower price (free shipping). Send me a message for more info. The project can be found on Blurb here.

Remember: "You have never seen an Oryx, until you have seen its shadow from the air." Bjorn Moerman



Comments