Pic(k) of the week 12: STANDING TALL - Fujifilm XS-10 and XF70-300 lens

Although I've reviewed the great compact telephoto Fujifilm XF70-300 lens here, I've recently shot some additional work for a Fujifilm Middle East social media campaign. As I hadn't done bird photography with the new lens yet, I decided to go to most UAE's birders favourite, the Al Qudra lakes about 45min from Dubai. 

When I noticed a heron sitting tall on a tree stick, I immediately positioning myself so the sunset light would hit the subject best. The first  time the bird spotted me and flew away. Luckily I didn't got too far and I managed to re-position myself to his new landing place quite easily. 

The image below shows the sharpness of the lens in beautiful golden hour light. I did do some post-processing on the RAW file using Lightroom and the DxO ColorEfex pro 4 application. Due to the very high contrast, there was some chromatic aberration in the bottom tree branches, but this was easily corrected in Lightroom Classic using the Lens correction panel.  

Image details:

  • Fujifilm X-S10 with XF70-300 lens
  • ISO 800, 1/900s, f9, 300mm
  • Lightroom Classic to develop the RAW
  • DxO ColorEfex 4 pro 
People are sometimes surprised in the diversity of the fauna and flora that can be found in the UAE. A good overview of this can be seen in my Nature of the UAE gallery, to which the image above has been added as well. 

I'm writing this from the Seychelles, where I'm presently on my first "photo-adventure" of 2021. It is great to be traveling again! Expect several images of the trip to appear in my Instagram as well as in the Pic(k) of the week series here.

Remember: "Stand tall. Even if this means standing alone" - Anon


 

Comments