Pic(k) of the week 13: THE ROCK - Anse Source d'Argent, La Digue, Seychelles.

Those following me on Instagram and other social media channels, probably know that I've recently spend 8 days in the Seychelles, an archipelagic island country in the Indian Ocean about 1500 km of the coast of mainland Africa. The country consists of 115 islands of which the central section is sometimes referred to as the granitic Seychelles as they are mainly composed of granite rocks. 

These huge boulders of granite on the beaches are very photogenic, especially for more abstract aerial photography. 

Located on the smaller island of La Digue, is one of the worlds nicest beaches; Anse Source d'Argent. often referred to as one of the nicest beaches in the world. Before the pandemic this place was often crowded with tourists but we fortunately had it pretty much for ourselves during our latest visit. Good for us. Not so good for the local tourism industry... 

The first day I visited Anse Source d'Argent, was on a sunny late afternoon between high and low tide (falling tide). Perfect to get some aerials of the beaches, rocks and lush green palm trees. Sample image here

When we revisited the next day, it was on a windy overcast afternoon one hour after high tide. One often disregards overcast days for photography, but in abstract aerial photography they are often the best as the diffused light is much softer and doesn't cast any shadows. Beside one also doesn't get the annoying reflection of the sun in the water when shooting straight down. 

I spend a few batteries (20 min flying time per drone battery) flying over some of the more interesting granite rocks, when I noticed somebody swimming around one of them. Shooting 90 deg down on the scene, I got exactly what I had envisioned! 

Image details:

  • DJI Mavic 2 Pro
  • ISO 100, f4.0, 1/400s
  • RAW file development in Lightroom Classic
  • DxO ColorEfex 4 for optimal contrast
While this image is probably my favorite image of the recent photo-adventure to the Seychelles, there are undoubtedly more images that will make it into a my Pic(k) of the week series. 

In the interim, a collection of 120 of my best shots from the Seychelles can be found here.

Lastly I like to highlight how good it felt to be traveling again. I do realize that I'm one of the privileged ones but lets hope more of us will be able to do so soon again! 

Remember: "The man who is swimming against the stream, knows the strength of it" - Woodrow Wilson


Comments