Pic(k) of the week 6: FOSSIL ROCK AERIAL

With all the new photo-gear from Fujifilm I've been testing recently, I almost forgot to fly my drone! While editing, I'm often trying to combine both drone and classic photography in order to make a body of work which looks and feels consistent. 

Such was the case on my latest road-trip to Meliha, also known as "Fossil rock", about 45min east of my home in Dubai. The mountain slopes, which are now partially reclaimed by the desert, have an abundance of marine fossils dating back millions of years when water covered much of Arabia.  

Over the years the area has been very popular with tour operators giving "dune bashing" trips in the desert. Although still at much lower numbers due to Covid-19 restrictions in large parts of the world, it is good to see tourists come back now. 

While flying my Mavic 2 Pro drone in the area, I noticed a convoy of 4x4 cars approaching, almost like a snake moving through the frame. The fact that the mountain range makes a nice diagonal line across the image, adds to the composition. 

Image details:

  • DJI Mavic 2 Pro 
  • 1/1250s, f4.0, ISO 100
  • RAW development in Lightroom Classic
  • DxO ColorEfex Pro with ND filter and Pro Contrast filter
I have received some extracopies of my Aerial photography book: FOCUS ON THE WORLD BELOW. If you are interested in a signed copy while avoiding higher shipping fees, please let me know and I might be able to deliver one to you! 

More of my aerial photography can be found here.

Remember: "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well" Antoine de Saint-Exupery

BJORN



Comments