Pic(k) of the week 29: SIDEWAYS - Fujifilm X-100V

If anything, the COVID-19 pandemic has definitively stimulated my search for new personal projects, which sometimes just appear out of nowhere.

When driving, I always have at least one small camera with me; lately this has been the X-100V; a fixed 23mm lens compact which has been great to document life around us. Shooting through the side window with the 35mm field of view (23mm on a cropped sensor), is just perfect to frame the world with the car window acting like a frame within a frame. And, no I do not shoot while driving! 

I decided to share part of the work in a 12 shot contact sheet where it looks like "everybody left". A reflection of my feelings after some close friends around me, have unfortunately recently lost their jobs and have to return to their own countries. I strongly believe that images we shoot represent how we feel; all through our subconscious mind.

Post edit: At the time of initial publication, the project was titled "Out of my car window"; a tittle which I wasn't really fan of. Through social media, I asked followers to suggest a better project tittle and the name "SIDEWAYS" was born. The blogpost tittle has since be updated as well. 


Image details:
All of the 12 images above, are Straight Out Of Camera (SOOC), using Classic Negative Film Simulation in a Fujifilm X-100V.  Following settings were used in camera:
  • Highlights -1
  • Shadows +1
  • DR100
  • Sharpness +1
  • Noise -1
  • Colour Chrome Effect Weak
  • Colour Chrome FX Blue Weak
Rest of the Image Quality settings are left on default or 0. 

The entire "Sideways" collection can be found here

Famous US photographer Diane Arbus once said: "I really believe there are things nobody would see, if I didn't photograph them".






Comments

William Alex said…
Very informative article. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Jamie B. Lucas said…
Useful and effective article you have shared with us . Thank you guy .