Pic(k) of the week 31: Firework over the B-29 at Airventure 2015 (Oshkosh)

Earlier this week, I got back from the World's Greatest Aviation Celebration; Airventure 2015. Most Aviation geeks refer to it as "OSHKOSH"; named after the city in Wisconsin where the yearly event is held.

For now, I won't go in much more detail on the show, as I will dedicate an entire blogpost to this amazing event in about 10 days or so...

The image below, which symbolises the overall celebration aspect of the show, was shot at the end of one of the "Night Airshows". After having been on the airshow grounds for more than 14 hours, I thought I was pretty much done with my photography for the day, until I spotted a great angle to shoot the fireworks over the worlds only flying Boeing B-29 WW II bomber.

Unfortunately that night I didn't have my tripod with me; so it was back to good old handholding technique... Given the image was shot at a full frame equivalent 30mm focal length, the general rule of thumb dictates a 1/30s minimum shutter speed. However at ISO 3200 my shutter speed turned out to be 1/2 sec.Kudos to the amazing Fujifilm Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS) on their latest lenses, the image came out very sharp, with virtually no motion blur, at half a second. Beside, shooting at ISO 3200 is virtually noise free of the Fujifilm X-trans sensors. 

Fireworks over the B-29 at Airventure 2015

Image details:
Fujifilm X-T1 with the XF 18-135 f3.5/5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujinon lens
ISO 3200, 20mm focal length, f3.6, 1/2sec
Lightroom CC for RAW file development 

During the next week, I will be uploading new images from Airventure 2015 here.

BJORN


Comments