Pic(k) of the week 47: SOCIAL DISTANCING, EXPO 2020 DUBAI

Hard to believe that two years ago, hardly anybody knew what Social Distancing meant! 

Since the Expo 2020 opened in Dubai October 1st, I've been 8 times and still have only seen a fraction of what is there to see! On my last visit, I concentrated on documenting the people; Street photography at the Expo 2020! As always, it is essential that we as photographers do this respectfully and in compliance with local photography rules. No, I can't give you legal advice on this matter, since I'm not a lawyer. 

One of the easier ways do Street photography is by using the "Fishing" concept. One first finds a good background and then waits patiently for a pleasing subject to pass by. Such is the case in the image below, where the orange wall was just begging to be photographed. 

When two local ladies walked well separated in front of the lens, I knew an interesting image could be made while respecting privacy rules.

Image details:

  • Fujifilm X-S10 with XF16-55 f2.8 lens
  • 1/1900s, f7.1, ISO 320, 55mm focal length
  • RAW development in Lightroom Classic using Classic Negative Camera profile
Over time, I've started to really enjoy shooting in Classic Negative. It has now replaced Classic Chrome for the majority of my Street and Documentary Colour work. It is however unfortunate that Fujifilm has not made this interesting Film Simulation available on older cameras like the X-T3. The Kaizen concept seems to start to degrade a bit...

I'm pleased with the resulting image and therefore added it to my Best Colour Street photography portfolio. Check it out here

Remember: “ Orange is the happiest color” - Frank Sinatra


Comments