Pic(k) of the week 43: YESTERDAY I WAS. TOMORROW I'll BE - iPhone 13 Pro Max

I'm not someone who buys the latest and greatest phone every single year, but this year my iPhone XS Max was due for replacement. Well, at least that's what I told my wife! 

It's astounding how much the cameras have evolved in the new smartphones over the last few years. It also is remarkable how a phone has become as expensive as most of the Fujifilm cameras I use every day! As a photographer however, it is no surprise that I wanted to go for the best screen and best camera combo. After the Apple announcement on September 14, it didn't take long before the order for an iPhone 13 Pro Max was in...

Every time I do receive a new smart phone (or shall be call it camera phone?), I ask myself the question if this could serve as my EDC (Everyday Carry) camera? Is the iPhone 13 Pro Max this camera? Only time will tell...

The new phone has three different cameras; the standard "wide" which has an equivalent 26mm focal length; the ultra wide 13mm equivalent focal length and the 77mm (sometimes referred to as x3) camera. Typical for smart phone cameras the image sensors are tiny. Sometimes up to 30 times smaller than on my X-series. 

All 3 cameras use a different dedicated sensor, of which the first one is 44 sq/mm and the last two only 12 sq/mm. 

In order to use the new Iphone to its full potential, including RAW, I bought a 12 month subscription to Halide. This is a third party app which is often referred to as the best Pro iPhone camera app. First impressions are using the app are very good. 

Earlier this week, I took the iPhone 13 Pro Max for a Street photography walk around central London. I was particularly interested in the quality of the "77mm equivalent focal length" camera. When I spotted an interesting advert across the street, it was a great opportunity to test the "telephoto" lens.

I love how the gentleman looked behind him, he clearly first spotted me across the street and was wondering what I was shooting. 

When using text in Street photos always ask yourself the question if it adds something to the image. For me it does in the image below. 


Image details:

  • iPhone 13 Pro Max using the 9 mm (77 mm equivalent focal length)
  • RAW DNG file shot using Halide 
  • 1/120s, f2.8, ISO 25
  • Lightroom Classic to develop the RAW file, including square crop and perspective correction
The image above is probably the first iPhone image that made it into a Pic(k) of the week, which is course quite telling. It also is the first one that I added to my Best Colour Street photography gallery. 

One can expect a few more images over the next couple of weeks, coming of my band-new mobile phone...

Remember: "The best camera is the one with you." - Chase Jarvis.

BJORN


Comments