Pic(k) of the week 40: WHEN THE BIRDS STOP FLYING - Fujifilm X100V

As a Street/Documentary photographer, I'm a great advocate for always carrying a camera with you. We never know what we will run into! Most of the time, I'll take my Fujifilm X100V with me, even it when it is just for a shopping trip or a leisurely stroll around the neighborhood. 

The other night I was out for an evening walk with my X100V when I saw a great cloud on the eastern horizon. The sunset light was illuminating the dissipating thunderstorm over the Dubai desert and giving it a dramatic look. Now I just needed to find a more interesting foreground...

While continuing my walk, I found a pigeon sitting on the fence and clicked a few silhouette images with the cloud in the background. Underexposing just over 1 stop was sufficient to expose the highlights of the cloud properly, while giving the bird a nice silhouette feel. It also highlights that one often needs to look to the opposite site from what seems the best direction to photograph a sunset!

Image details:

  • Fujifilm X100V  
  • 1/250s, f8, ISO 320
  • In camera jpeg using Classic Negative Film Simulation
  • Lightroom Classic for perspective correction (using Transform guided tool)
  • Lightroom Classic for 16:9 crop, giving more of a cinematic feel
I do have an iPhone 13 Pro Max on order, which hopefully will be delivered in the next few weeks. I must say that I'm interested to see how the camera will perform for these "always have a camera with you" shots! Until now, no phone has given me the image quality I've come to expect from a compact camera like the X100V. 

Remember: "The best camera is the one with you" - Chase Jarvis

BJORN

Comments