Pic(k) of the week 3: SHOWER OF GOLD - Fujifilm X-S10 Electronic shutter

While visiting Dubai Creek Harbour, one of my favorite places to shoot the Dubai skyline, I passed by a fountain without initially thinking too much about it... 

Looking for a place to try out the Electronic Shutter of the Fujifilm X-S10 I was testing, I retraced my steps and shot some images of the fountain against the setting sun at very high shutter speeds. Perfect to freeze the action!

Looking at them on a large computer screen the following day, I was mesmerized by the amount of detail and structure in the shots, giving the water a “gold feel” to it.  

Image details:

  • Fujifilm X-S10 with XF50-140 f2.8 lens
  • ISO 320, 1/26000, f8
  • SOOC, using Velvia Film simulation, no editing.
Over the years, the Electronic shutter has improved a lot. While the effects of rolling shutter where often visible in earlier iterations, the newer ones have become much more useable. Having a camera that will shoot at shutter speeds up to 1/32000s, is really beneficial for specific shots like the one above. Besides the main advantage is obviously the fact that the Electronic Shutter is 100% silent; not relevant in this shot but  frequently used in candid street photography. 

Since the start of the pandemic, I’ve been shooting more and more Contemplative photography. Check out my first 2021 Pic(k) of the week here for more and a dedicated gallery to the genre here

Remember: "There is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow". - Karen Black

BJORN


Comments