Pic(k)of the week 49: HAPPY NATIONAL DAY UAE - Fujifilm X-S10

Both in 1971, I share the same year of birth as the country I've called home for almost 19 years now... Today, December 2nd, the UAE (often referred to as "The Emirates") is celebrating its 49th National day.  A country on the eastern end of the Arabian Peninsula, bordering Oman and Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates also has maritime borders with Qatar and Iran. The federal constitutional monarchy consists of 7 Emirates of which Dubai is the most known one. Abu Dhabi is the capital while the other 5 are less known; Ajman, Sharjah, Fujairah, Umm Al Quwain and Ras Al Khaimah.

The image below was made when driving through Khor Kaffan, part of the Emirate of Sharjah that extends all the way to the east coast. As a yearly tradition there are always hundreds of UAE flags in this period of the year. As I was looking to come up with an image for this years National day post, I wanted to make the flag a little less obvious. Inspired by the work of Arthur Meyerson, I love images that use the "counterpoint" technique. Hereby, the photographer will add something (often quite small) in the frame that breaks the pattern or adds a bit of mystery to the image. 

Around sunset I found a mosque that was well positioned to be shot into the light in order to allow for a "near silhouette". With very defined architectural shapes like a mosque, I find that a near silhouettes often will highlight the shape and form even more. When I spotted the two UAE flags at the very bottom of the frame, I knew the counterpoint technique would work well. Normally I'm not a fan of selective colour, but this time I works well for me as the rest of the shot was near monochrome anyway. 

Lastly, whenever I'm shooting in the UAE with mountains in the background, I love how these will often show different tints of grey depending on the distance they are away from the viewer; even in colour shots. 

Image details:

  • Fujifilm X-S10 with XF100-400 lens 
  • ISO 160, 1/340s, f11, 226mm focal length
  • Lightroom Classic to develop RAW file
  • DxO SilverEfex for convert to Black and White, except for the UAE flag
Notice that the image was shot, using the brand-new Fujifilm X-S10. I'm enjoying the In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) of this new camera! 

Fujifilm Middle East is organizing a photo-competition for the UAE National day. Check out there Instagram here for more. 

Remember: "The woman is half of the society. Any country that pursues development should not lead her in poverty of illiteracy" - Founding father of the UAE, Sheik Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan

Comments