Pic(k) of the week 52: MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM DUBAI

Over the last few weeks, I’ve heard quite a few people make the sarcastic comment, “Christmas is cancelled this year”. Telling this story, with a single image, was what I set out for in my street photography.

Obviously as there are numerous restrictions all over the world with regards to the number of people that can celebrate together, it is going to be a very different Christmas.

Here in Dubai, due to the relatively low COVID-19 numbers, the present restrictions are very reasonable; allowing us to get together with friends for Christmas dinner. For those that might not be aware, yes we do celebrate Christmas here! Unfortunately, due to the fact that a lot of friends have lost their jobs during the pandemic, we will be missing quite a few at our Christmas table tonight. My thoughts are with you all!

Back to photography; while street hunting in the old part of Dubai (Creekside, Deira), I bumped into a headless Santa, at the entrance of a supermarket. After the head had fallen off, nobody had taken the time to put it back on. I guess most living in the region, will understand the irony... When I saw the scene, I knew my Christmas card was in the making!

Image details:

  • Fujifilm X-S10 with XF 35 f1.4 lens
  • ISO 400, f8.0, 1/320s
  • Straight Out Of Camera (#SOOC) using Classic Negative Film simulation
As 2020 officially counts 53 weeks ( leap-week), there will be one more post before New Years. 

Remember:”Christmas is doing a little something extra, for someone” - Charles Schulz

Meanwhile, stay positive. Test negative. 

Merry Christmas! 

Comments