Pic(k) of the week 43: FINE ART BRIDGE - Kortrijk, Belgium

Those of you following my work, know that I have a soft spot for Black and White Architectural work. Having said so, I'm not the person who makes lots of selections in Photoshop, spending hours on a single image to get the effect envisioned. I rather do it all in camera and shoot some more! 

When I saw the scene below, I knew there was potential for a good SOOC (Straight Out Of Camera) Black and White image where the light and shadow would stand out. Standing on the right side of the bridge was essential to get the high contrast effect I was after. It was made on a partially cloudy and windy day which worked perfect with the long exposure I had in mind. 

Image details:

  • Fujifilm X-T3 with XF16-80 lens with H+Y 10 stop ND filter
  • Mounted on LeoFoto LS-284C tripod
  • ISO 160, f18, 13sec, 22mm focal length 
  • RAW development in Lightroom Classic using Acros+Red camera profile
  • Photoshop 2020 to correct perspective 

In order to get the Long Exposure, I've been using a 10-stop H+Y Neutral density filter. Unlike some of the other brands, it doesn't give a nasty colour cast which is great. As it was shot midday, the 10 stop light reduction was border line. This is the reason the image was shot at f18, a rather small aperture.    

Over the last 6 weeks, I've been testing the LeoFoto LS-284C tripod, which has now become my new favorite Travel tripod. A full review can be found on my blog here. If you have any questions about this or other tripods please leave a message here or contact me through the social media channels below.

Several years ago, I bought a 424 pages instructional e-book called "From Basics to Fine Art (Black and White Photography - Architecture and beyond)", which is all about this genre of photography and has been very inspiring. It provides great info about the use of light and shadow in architectural photography and also has a lot of post-processing tips. Although not cheap for an e-book, it is highly recommended!   

Remember: "It takes both sides to build a bridge" - Frederik Nael

Comments