Pic(k) of the week 41: AUTUMN IS IN THE AIR - Tombeau du Géant

Over the last few months, I've spend a fair bit of time in my home country Belgium. Due to the limited amount of travel we presently can do due to Covid-19 outbreak. I've been rediscovering some of the places in Belgium, I haven't visited in years and in some cases have never been to at all. 

Such was the case on a three day start of autumn trip to the south-east of the country in an area called "The Ardennes". Whenever I'm legally allowed to fly a drone, I now travel with both my Fujifilm X-series cameras as well as a drone. 

The image below, of the Tombeau du Géant (Tomb of a giant) is a typical example where a ground based shot would be good, but not great! First, I'm sure most of you can see the gigantic "coffin" enclosed in the bent of the Semois river. There is a nice viewpoint overlooking the site, but there seems to be one problem... some of the trees obstruct part of the river during all but winter. 

Taking the drone up and making the image from just 30 to 40 meters above the local terrain, shows the full Semois river and makes all the difference. I'm a strong believer in using the best camera system for the job. When using a drone, make sure to fly it legally! Have a license when needed and respect the rules. They are there for a reason!

Although still early in the season, the leaves did start changing colour; exactly what I was looking for!

Image details:

  • DJI Mavic 2 Pro
  • 1/30s, f4, ISO 100
  • RAW development using Lightroom Classic 
  • DxO ColorEfex Pro 4 with Colour Contrast filter
I've just updated my "Aerial" portfolio gallery which contains my strongest work in the category.; check it out here.

If interested in my latest photo-book, "Focus on the World below", I still have a few copies with me. If you live in Belgium or the UAE and you want a signed copy, please send me a message. A short video presents the project here.

Remember: "Autumn paints in colours that summer has never seen." - unknown-








Comments