Pic(k) of the week 22: TAKING FLIGHT - AL QUDRA, DUBAI

While we are slowly coming out of lock-down and airline flights are about to start up again, I can’t wait to take to the skies myself!

The other day I went for an early morning walk at Al Qudra Lakes; a perfect opportunity to reflect on the last few months and enjoy being in nature. As the sun was still low on the horizon I spotted an Egyptian goose sitting on a tree top. While observing the bird for about 15 min, I could see that it was about to take flight. 

I quickly switched to “Sport mode” on my X-T3 which is perfect for shots where we might “just” miss the moment. How does Sport mode work you might ask?

While half pressing the shutter button, Sport mode continuously stores the last second of the images that were taken using Continuous High (CH), in the camera buffer. When taking the actual image that last second is then transferred to the memory card so the moment we “just” missed is recovered. Clever idea, which works well.

I don’t have a real interest in classic bird photography but do enjoy taking fine- art bird images. Shooting bird silhouettes is one way of doing so. Below are two images shot very closely together. 



Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T3 and XF100-400 lens
  • ISO 320, 1/2200s, f13, 183mm
  • RAW development in Lightroom Classic
  • Lightroom Classic Print module to make the diptych
Check out more of my Nature of the UAE images here


Remember: "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness". - Alejandro Jodorowski


Comments