Pic(k) of the week 19: NOBODY HOME - Drone panoramas

It took me quite a long time to pick up my first drone as I had doubts about the image quality of the small sensors. Once DJI updated their Mavic 2 Pro with a 1 inch sensor, 18 months ago, I knew it was time to buy one! 

Over the last year, I’ve learned a lot and have printed several aerial drone shots with great results. Although the Mavic 2 Pro has a 20Mpx sensor, having more detail is always welcome. One relatively easy technique to use is combining multiple images together in a single large panorama. In the image below of an abandoned village, I’ve combined 9 images into a 75Mpx file. I would happily print an image like this up to 2 meters (6 feet) wide. 

As this is panorama, I strongly recommend to click on the image and view it on a decent screen full screen. The amount of detail in the +15.000 pixel image, is impressive. You might as well enjoy it.


Image details:
  • DJI Mavic 2 Pro
  • ISO 100, f4.0, 1/160s
  • 9 shot RAW file development in Lightroom Classic
  • Panorama image merge in Photoshop CC
  • DxO ColorEfex Pro 4 for optimal contrast and detail
Next SAT, May 9, I’ll be conducting a 1hr talk about Aerial photography for the Emirates Group Photography Club (EGPC). It will consist of a “classic aerial photography” and “drone photography” module. Unfortunately, the talk is limited to Emirates group employees and direct family members. For more info please contact me here or through any of the social media channels below. Click here for a direct Facebook link.

If there is enough interest, I’m considering to repeat the presentation for a wider audience. Let me know, if you are interested!

Remember: "There are always two people in any picture, the photographer and the viewer" - Ansel Adams


BJORN




Comments