Pic(k) of the week 21: EMIRATES TOWERS LIGHTOUSE

Most of the modern architecture in Dubai consist of a lot of glass panels which at certain times of the day, often causing spectacular reflections looking like a lighthouse. About ten days ago, I saw such a reflection coming off Emirates Towers on my way back from work around lunchtime. As the building was a long distance away, shooting at 23mm with the X-100V I was carrying, didn't do the trick. A long lens, around 200mm, was what I really needed.

A few days ago, I arranged a grocery shopping trip along the same road and the same time but this time having my Fujifilm X-T3 and XF100-400 lens with me. 

I picked a day with moderate haze, as light reflection tends to be much more dramatic when the light bounces off dust particles. A two minute stop along the side of the road and the handheld shot was in the can.  

Surprisingly for most, the image hardly needed any editing. The RAW file white balance was slightly cooled down (bluer tint) and the contrast was slightly enhanced using DxO ColorEfex pro 4; all took less than 5 min.


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T3 with XF100-400 lens
  • ISO 160, f10, 1/1250s, 211mm
  • RAW file development in Lightroom Classic
  • DxO ColorEfex Pro 4 for optimal contrast
While I've shot Emirates Towers many times before, the overall feel of the image above is perfect to complete my "3 Architectural icons of Dubai" series. With both the Burj al Arab and Burj Khalifa bathing in blue hour light, the last shot complements it quite well for a fine-art print series. 

Those interested in more Dubai Architectural work of mine, please check out the following gallery here

Remember: "Do not forget that you might be the lighthouse in someone's storm".





Comments