90 YEARS - 90 DAYS - 90 IMAGES (Part 2)

My latest blogpost announced my 90/90/90 project; 90 days of shooting only on the new Fujifilm X100VI, to end with 90 keeper images in a dedicated gallery. This to commemorate the 90th year anniversary of Fujifilm this year. 

As we are now just past halfway point of the project (day 48) and I've once again taken the camera to a few countries outside of the UAE, it's time to look at some more X100VI work. 

Although I've travelled a fair bit in the last 30 days, I want to start in the UAE where Ramadan was recently celebrated. Ramadan is often referred to as the Holy month for Muslims who are fasting during the day and only break the fast when the sun sets. Called Iftar, the first meal after fasting, is often taken in larger groups at Mosques. Seeming thousands of muslim have a community meal together is very impressive.  

Having a smaller camera like the X100VI is great to capture those special moments. 

To announce the breaking of the fast, Dubai Police fires 8 cannons all over the Emirate during Ramadan. Capturing the exact moment the blanc round goes off is a challenge. For the image above, shot at Expo village, I used the Pre-shot function on the X100VI. When half pressing the shutter, this basically continually captures the last 1s in the camera buffer (not on the card). Once fully pressed (when you hear the shot going off), the camera then writes the last second of images captured before, to the card. An extremely noisy but great moment to capture!

Having friends over for a visit, I took them to Dubai Creek Harbour; my favourite location to see the sun set over the Dubai skyline. Shooting some images of the family, a print of the one above is likely going to hang in a family room soon. It highlights the quality of the 40Mpx X100VI files well!

The X100VI (and other X100 series for that matter) remains my favourite for Candid Street Photography. Not wanting to be sneaky, capturing a candid moment is still very different from a posed image. When I saw this green haired lady on a green bench in Melbourne Australia, I knew I had a keeper. 

As a Street Photographer I love to get lost on purpose. Such was the case when I bumped into this interesting entrance to a museum in Melbourne. The water flowing through a glass wall made for some unique perspectives.  

I'll finish part 2 of the 90/90/90 series with a capture from Nice, France. The image illustrates the wide dynamic range of the X100VI (and other X-Trans 5 cameras) well. 

All of the images were captured using the new Reala Ace Film Simulation. 

As I stated in the previous post, there is dynamic gallery for the 90/90/90 project (click here), where new images come and go. Eventually, after day 90, I'll choose my 90 best images and finalize the gallery. 

Part 3 of the blog series will be when the project has ended, likely somewhere after the first week of June 2024. 

Happy shooting,

BJORN 






Comments