90 YEARS - 90 DAYS - 90 IMAGES (Part 1)

February 20, 2024, Fujifilm launched the latest version of its X-100 fixed lens compact cameras. I was lucky to be present at the 2024 X-Summit in Tokyo when the camera launched and was able to shoot the new camera for a few days straight after the event. 


Named the X100"6" (written in Roman figures as X100VI), the camera has proven to be very popular. 

On March 8th, I managed to get an X100VI on loan from Fujifilm Middle East, till my own camera ordered, arrives.

As an X-photographer, I shoot a combination of X-series and the occasional GFX camera body. As part of a personal project, I decided to limit myself to exclusively shoot the X100VI for a 90 day period, starting March 09 and ending on June 06, 2024. 

Why 90 days? The X-summit was teamed around the 90th anniversary of Fujifilm, who started back in 1934. 90 days for the 90 years seemed appropriate. 

I started a specific gallery on my site (under Personal Projects), called 90 Years Fujifilm - 90 days X100VI. Click here to check it out. While the content will be dynamic (some images will come and go) until the period is over, I eventually want to end up with a collection of 90 images that make up the project.

All of the above, should explain while I titled the project: 90 years / 90 days / 90 images.

As an avid user of the X100V, I felt very familiar with the new camera from day one. While this is not going to be a camera review I would like to list me three Pros and three Cons for the X100VI. 

PRO's:

  1. IBIS (In Body Camera Stabilization) 
  2. New 40MPx sensor, allowing for more efficient cropping or use of the digital teleconverter. 
  3. REALA ACE; the latest Fujifilm Film simulation which comes to the X-series first on the X100VI. I really like how the blues and reds are captured. Guess it won't be a surprise that most colour images you find in the project are shot using Reala Ace.
Over the last 18 days, I've shot the camera in quite a few different places. Below are a few sample images.

On a city trip to Barcelona, where the IBIS turned out to be very valuable when shooting at night without a tripod.

The Louvre Museum in Abu Dhabi (UAE), which is a great place to shoot some "Street Photography"! 

Or an new Observation deck in Dubai, called "SKY VIEWS OBSERVATORY".

CON's:

  1. BATTERY: while the camera can shoot a decent amount of images on a single batter, the X100VI has kept the same battery as the X100V.  I do understand that upgrading to the much larger NP-W235 battery was likely not an option without making the camera considerably larger. I do however wish that the current NP-W126S battery would be further upgraded as newer battery technology is now available. Remaining compatible with previous versions, the NP-W126 was similarly also upgraded to the -W126S version in 2016.
  2. EVF: the LCD and EVF are pretty much identical to the X100V. While still good, I was hoping for an upgrade of especially the EVF. Comparing it to the X-T5 one can see a clear difference and this while the price-point for the cameras is similar.
  3. HARD TO FIND: Similar to its predecessor, the X100V, the 6th iteration of the X100 series, the camera is backordered in most camera shops, even after Fujifilm moved their production for the camera to China. 

I plan to make a few more posts as this projects evolves. 

The entire gallery can be found here.

Happy shooting,

BJORN 


Comments