BEST PHOTOGRAPHY WORK OF 2021

As a yearly tradition somewhere in January, I try to come up with my 3 best 2021 images of the 4 categories I typically shoot;

Click on the respective links above, to check out the Portfolio galleries of these categories on my website.

Looking at your own work with a critical eye, can be an interesting exercise and actually more difficult than what most think. Interestingly, it is very common for these images to be very different from what is most popular on social media (Instagram, Facebook...). 

 
STREET

Shot at Venice Beach, CA, I vividly remember how beautiful the light was that evening. When I was there again a couple of months later, the "LOVE" letters on the wall were unfortunately gone. 

I personally do not believe that Street photography is limited to the "Streets". Public beaches for example are also great locations to practice the genre. While I normally shoot my Street photos with a 23mm or 35mm prime Fujinon lens, this one was made with a XF70-300 zoom lens. I approached the kite surfer and offered him to send the file. Something he was very happy with! 

Just over three months ago, EXPO 2020 started in Dubai; a world exhibition lasting to the end of March 2022 and full of photographic possibilities. How can one not photograph this great orange wall? The 2 anonymous ladies that past in front of it, made for an interesting image. I like the spacing between them; like an advert for social distancing!



AERIAL

In March 2021, I set off on a weeklong photo-adventure to the Seychelles. Beside the UAE, it was one of the first countries to open up for vaccinated travellers. The trip turned out to be full of photo opportunities , especially given the limited amount of people that were there. Having my DJI Mavic Pro drone with me, was heaven. I love how the swimmer is framed in the shot above.

The second aerial was shot from an airliner, while flying over the North Pole and shows how the ice is breaking up during the summer. Some people have told me that this is pretty normal and not necessarily a sign of global warming. I'll like to leave this in the middle...


 The more recent trip to Malta, was another one of these great weeklong photo-adventures where plenty of Travel and Aerial photography images were shot. Ta'Pinu on Gozo (Malta) was high on the list of locations to shoot some aerials off. 


TRAVEL

A commonly accepted definition of Travel photography is photography involving the documentation of an area's landscape, architecture, people, culture, customs and history. So by itself, there is no reason one can't shoot Travel photography while staying in your own region. The image below, of two birds circling a mosque in Dubai is such a good example of this. 

While there was more opportunity for travel in 2021, it was still not to pre-pandemic levels. The first sunset during our visit to the amazing islands of the Seychelles, will always stay with me. The colour graduations were just out of this world!

Some of my strongest recent Black and White landscape work, also came from the Seychelles. The timeless image of Silhouette island from Mahé, being my strongest one! 


AVIATION


Needless to say that as a pilot, the last category is close to my heart. While a number of airshows around the world has slowly restarted, we still have a long way to go. 2021, was the year when the Dubai Airshow was held again; always a great event for every Aviation photographer in the region! The shot of the UAE Air Force C-17 releasing some anti-misile/rocket flares, was my favorite one of the show.


Earlier in the year, I made my way to Chino, CA to attend the Planes of Fame airshow at this great airport just east of Los Angeles. Unfortunately, the show was cancelled a couple of weeks before... With the plans still in place, I elected to still go to the museum and photographed their latest aircraft; the worlds oldest jet aircraft in flying condition; a 1948 Gloster Meteor T.7. I love how the open hangar door lit the side of the aircraft; clearly showing it wear and tear. 

The last image, is one of the magnificent Airbus A380 I fly for a living. While the aircraft has created a lot of discussion during the pandemic for being too large, it remains my preferred airliner both as a pilot and when flying as a passenger! 

CLOSING THOUGHTS

My Lightroom catalog for 2021 shows a total of 10766 images, which is pretty much in line with pre-covid years; a good thing! Out of this, I gave 644 images a 5-star rating; basically portfolio worthy images.

2021, was the last year of my 12 year long "Pic(k) of the week" series. As stated in my last Pic(k) of the week this is not the end of this blog. The post you are reading now, is the start of a new beginning. 

I'm hopeful that 2022 will finally become a more normal year, after we get through the current Omicron wave. If all goes well, there should be a few interesting photo-adventures and airshows in the new calendar year. 

If the rumor mill is correct, it looks like Fujifilm will have some interesting photo gear news before the summer. Can't wait to test some of the new equipment! A quick overview from the Fujifilm photo-gear I reviewed here in the last year:

Looking forward to a great 2022,

BJORN


Comments

Anonymous said…
Proficiat Bjorn met je schitterde foto's, met een lichte voorkeur voor de reeks straatfotografie.
MVG Luc