Pic(k) of the week 36: MODERN ARCHITECTURE VIENNA - Fujifilm GFX50S II

Last week, Fujifilm Middle East provided me with a pre-production Fujifilm GFX50S II, a brand-new +50 megapixel Medium Format camera, which was officially released on September 2nd and should be available by the end of this month. 

GFX50S (first version) was the first digital medium format Fujifilm camera announced end of 2016. Since then the GFX camera line has multiple bodies like the GFX50R, GFX100 and GFX100S. The latter I tested earlier in the summer and was the basis for my W I D E project. More info can be found at a previous blogpost here.

The new GFX50S II is basically exactly the same body like the 100S but with a smaller sensor; 51 versus 102 megapixels. Obviously still plenty, especially since the sensor size is about 1.7x larger than a classic full frame camera. 

While I'm mainly an X-series shooter, I did enjoy shooting the 50S; it feels small enough to carry a full day, especially when being used with some of the smaller lenses. Ergonomically the 50S (and 100S) are probably the best laid out cameras, although I do prefer the "Rangefinder like" style of the 50R more. Fujifilm if you reading this, would love to see a 50R II, with the IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization)!

Given outdoor shooting in Dubai is still pretty unpleasant due to the summer heat, I decided to take the new GFX50S II to Vienna; a city which is known for its history and classic music scene but often not known for its amazing modern Architecture. Like the 100S, the 50S also has the new "Nostalgic Negative" Film simulation added. It creates interesting rich colors in the shadows and softer tonality in the mid-tones and shadows.

Image details:

  • Fujifilm GFX50S II with GF30 f3.5 lens
  • ISO 250, 1/250s, f16 
  • Straight Out Of Camera (#SOOC) using Nostalgic Negative with the following in camera settings:
    • Highlights +3
    • Shadows +2
    • Color Chrome FX Blue: Weak
    • Remaining settings all default
I like how the image has a clear 3D look; partially due to the larger medium format sensor but also due to the in-camera image processing with the above settings.

Personally I do find the 100 megapixel sensor on the GFX100 and GFX100S a bit of overkill for my own photography. The much larger files also slow down my image workflow quite a bit. 50 Megapixles seems to be the sweet-spot for me when it comes to the medium format GFX system. 

Although plenty fast enough for all except very fast action, I find the autofocus to be a bit slower than that of the GFX100S, which after all is 60% more expensive (6000,-USD versus 4000,-USD for the GFX50S II). 

Remember: "Your first 10.000 photographs are your worst ones" - Henri Cartier-Bresson.

BJORN



Comments