Pic(k) of the week 33: EMIRATES TRIPTYCH

As a Pilot-Photographer, I'm always on the lookout for interesting aircraft photo compositions. I've envisioned an image of an airliner positioned on top of a minaret, all shot in camera, for quite a while now. Although I've come close in the past, I never really fully achieved what I had in mind. 

Finding the right place to do so, has been quite challenging. Somehow, the right angle and position are often somewhere in the middle of a road!

The other day I bumped into a mosque that was well positioned and which allowed me to shoot from a nice open space. In the hour just before sunset, there are quite a few different aircraft arrivals making it a good time to give it a try. The intent was to make a triptych of three different types. 

The images were all shot handheld using High Speed Continuous (CH). Typically aircraft landing on the same runway fly a precision approach in which the altitude when crossing  certain point (the top of the mosque here), is pretty much within a few meters. 

Below we can see from left to right; the Boeing 777-200 F (Cargo aircraft), Airbus A380 (World largest passenger plane) and the Boeing B777-300ER. Three great airliners in their own right. As a pilot and passenger, I personally prefer the Airbus A380, but then I'm biassed as this is the airliner I fly for a living! 

Image details:

  • Fujifilm X-T3 with XF50-140 f2.8 lens
  • ISO 3200, f10, varying shutter speeds 1/750s to 1/400s between images, focal length 80mm
  • Lightroom Classic to develop the RAW file
More airline photography of mine can be found here

Remember that the future is hard to predict. Orville Wright wrote in 1903, "No flying machine will ever fly from New York to Paris" - 




Comments