Pic(k) of the week 23: HANGAR SELFIE WITH A DEAR FRIEND

Whenever I’m spending time in my home country Belgium, flying our 1954 Piper Super Cub, always sits high on the priority list. Flying vintage aircraft like the Cub, requires reasonable fair weather but provides me with the pure joy of flight! 

The afternoon I went to the airport, I knew that there was probably only a 50/50 chance that I would be able to fly that day. As a pilot, it is worth remembering that all take-offs are optional! Remember that even birds sometimes elect not to fly…

I opened the hangar doors, overlooking the airfield. The place where I was brought up and eventually would do my first solo flight in 1987 as a 16 year old. A place full of memories, with so many untold stories.  

The short 600m grass runway sat just in front of me. It was only me and the 67 year old plane at the small airfield. I grabbed a chair, sat down under the wing and checked the weather again. Initially I was hopeful for an opening in the weather, but after about half an hour, things started to change for the worse when thunderstorms started to form not far away. 

When the rain started to come down with the occasional thunder in the background, I knew todays flight would be cancelled. I grabbed my camera out of my flight-bag and placed it on a pack of wood on the side of hangar. Using the 10s timer, I clicked a few silhouette selfies with the Cub. I’m not big into self portraits, but I wanted this  moment to stay with me. Just me and the plane! It was powerful. Some people go for a walk when they are in need for some “me time”. I’m perfectly happy sitting next to my dear old friend!


Image details:

  • Fujifilm X-E4 with XF18 F1.4 lens
  • ISO 800, 1/35s, f11
  • In camera Velvia Film Simulation
  • Lightroom Mobile for small geometry correction 

Aviation has no shortage of wise quotes; often the result of things going wrong. While sitting on that chair, the following aviation quote came to mind:

“It is better to be down here, wishing you were up there, than to be up there wishing you were down here”.

The image above will be uploaded to my Aviation portfolio. Probably the first self-portrait that makes it into a portfolio gallery of mine but worth it!

Fly safe,

BJORN

Comments