Pic(k) of the week 33: AMERICAN GIRL - NEW YORK CITY

This weeks Pic(k) of the week is my 500th! Who would have thought early January 2010, that this would last that long... Back to Pic(k)of the week 500! 

When it comes to Street Photography, Matt Stuart has been a big inspiration for me ! His talks are highly inspirational and I’ve been quoting his « Three F’s » for Street Photography before. 

The first F, stands for Fishing; it is typically where one stays at a good location and waits for the subjects to pass through the scene. Fishing needs patience but often pays big rewards and can make you walk away with several interesting images. An example of a series of images I shot can be found here

The second F, stands for Following. Sometimes looked at by outsiders as stalking, one follows a subject until the background works better or until the person provides you with an interesting gesture. An example can be found here

Last but not least is the one that sounds like duck but starts with a F! Typically those are the moments where something happens in the blink of an eye. You better be ready for this one! No lens cap and camera settings set ready to shoot. 

This was the case when I was wondering around 5th avenue in New York City the other day. When I saw the scene below present itself, I knew I had little time to frame a few images. Using my typical candid photography technique, I shot well above the subject to then look at the back of my camera pretending to check the image, while pressing the shutter at this very moment. All while being only a couple of meters away from both subjects. 


Image details:
  • Fujifilm XT-3 with XF23mm f2.0 lens
  • ISO 640, 1/320s, f7.1
  • SOOC (Straight Out Of Camera) using Film Simulation Acros Green 
  • Lightroom CC for square crop, no further editing



I've added the image above to my Best Black and White collection here. I also started a poll on Instagram and Facebook to see if people preferred the Black and White or Colour version of the image which can be found here

Please check out the colour version and let me know what you think! I personally find the colour version in a little too distracting but maybe the colour is the subject!

Remember: "Colour is everything. Black and White is more!" Dominic Rouse


BJORN










Comments