Pic(k) of the week 22: ANONYMOUS IN PARIS - FUJIFILM X-T100

Last week, Fujifilm announced a brand new camera, the X-T100. Being somewhere between the X-A5 and X-T20, it is Fujifilm's new entry level camera; small and compact, it also makes for a nice travel camera. 

As an X-photographer, I wasn't directly involved in the pre-production testing of this camera, but the fine guys of Fujifilm Middle-East gave (borrowed) me a production unit a few days before the May 25th announcement. 

My first trip with the X-T100 was a short 24 layover in Paris; the city where Street Photography was born! While I was there, my French friend and fellow X-photograpger, Valérie Jardin, was teaching a Street Photography workshop in Paris. The perfect opportunity to make some test images with the X-T100, have a glass of red and talk photography!

Knowing Paris like the back of here hand, she pointed out a great spot to shoot silhouettes and reflections. While I framed both images of people facing the camera and walking away from it, the image below made me think about Valerie's recent ebook called Anonymous. More about her eBook as well as the X-T100 later...


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T100 with the  XF23mm f2 lens
  • ISO 1000, 1/320s, f4
  • SOOC (Straight Out Of Camera) jpeg using Film Simulation Monochrome + Yellow filter
Although more and more of my Street Photography is in colour, to me Paris remains a Black and White city; likely because of all the famous early days Street Photos we know shot in the French capital. While the X-T100 has my favorite colour Film Simulation, "Classic Chrome" it does not have the newer Acros Black and White Film Simulations. 

Back to Valerie's eBook ANONYMOUS... With new privacy rules being a hot topic over the last weeks, this book could have not come at a better time. The 63 page book, deals with shooting Street Photography without revealing your subject; something that will be definitively beneficial for people who want to shoot Street Photography in places like Dubai that have stricter privacy rules. 

Beside great explanations about shooting silhouettes, reflections, creative framing/focusing and use of motion, part of the book also contains a collection of 16 "Photo Stories" where Valérie explains how a specific image came to be. An interesting and inspiring approach!

I really enjoyed reading the book and can recommend it for all of you aspiring but also more experienced Street Photographers. Click here, for all her books, including the most recent one, Anonymous. 



Also make sure to check out Valérie's Street photography podcast "Hit the Streets with Valérie Jardin" - word on the street has it that I might make a reappearance was well... 

As I'm writing this, I'm presently in Tuscany on a weeklong Travel/Landscape photo-trip. Expect an "In the field" review about the X-T100 somewhere in early June. Meanwhile if you want me to check/test anything related to the X-T100, feel free to contact me through Instagram or leave a comment below. 

More of my own Paris Street Photography work can be found here

Remember: "Paris is always a good idea" - Audrey Hepburn





Comments