Pic(k) of the week 21: FADED GLORY - A VINTAGE LOOK AT AL AQAH, UAE

One of my favorite escapes in the UAE from the busy city life in Dubai, is Al Aqah at the east coast of the UAE. Less than a 2 hours drive, it is pretty much a complete different world out there. More relaxed and in a lot of ways more basic, there are also several 4 and 5 star hotels along the beach if your looking to stay in complete comfort. I personally mostly stay at the Le Méridien Al Aqah Beach resort.  
It has been several years since I was last there, but we finally managed to spend a few days in this paradise on the east coast. 

One of the nice things to do in Al Aqah, is making a nice long beach walk. It was on one of these, that I bumped into a bit of faded glory from days passed by; a collection of old wooden sun umbrellas on the beach. 

As I haven't used Analog Efex pro2 in quite a while, this was great way to give the images I made a vintage film look; something that I haven't done in a while.

I finally went for a triptych, as I liked how three images told the story better than just a single one. As always, please make sure to click on the image below for the best viewing experience. 


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T20 with the XF10-24 f4 lens
  • 1/320s, f11, ISO varying between 200 and 500 
  • Lightroom CC used for RAW conversion
  • Nik Analog Efex pro 2 to give the image a vintage film look

I realize that some readers might not be big fan of these vintage images created by several "filters" but it is something I only occasionally do for a specific work. The creative process of "developing" the image is actually interesting in a way that it is much more than just applying a single filter. Like other image editing software, Analog Efex has plenty of sliders which allow for great creativity. 

Unfortunately the software has been discontinued (together with all of the other Nik collection products) after it was sold to Google. 

I understand Google is still allowing free downloads (click here), but there is no guarantee that it will work with future updates of Photoshop and/or operating systems. I personally have not updated my Macs to High Sierra in order to be able to still run the above products.  

Remember: "Art is never finished, only abandoned" - Leonardo da Vinci 

BJORN





Comments