Ho Chi Minh = Saigon = Scooter city

Last night I got back from my first visit to Vietnam. My updated travel map Facebook app tells me I've now visited 38% of the worlds countries. So many more to see!

Motorbike madness

The capital of Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh, used to be called Saigon. I would rather call it, "Scooter city"! I've seen my fair share of motorbikes in Far Eastern cities, but this really tops it!

No Fear in Ho Chi Minh

Discovering a new city is all about seeing the daily life. The guy above working in the electrical jungle, tells a story. Just what I was looking for!

Remembering the War

When one thinks about Vietnam, the number one thing that comes to mind is probably "the Vietnam War". Beside a few museums, there isn't much that reminds the visitor about this terrible military conflict.  I'm however not sure what the history of the ex-US Army Jeep above is.

Vietamese duck

As often is the case, going off the beaten "tourist track'" is where one really discovers the "daily life". Small alleyways led me to some interesting shots!

Selling fruit



Playing alleyway kid

Playing alleyway kid

I don't like to photograph kids without adult permission. For the ones above, I was however begged to photograph them by the parents. The midday sun which stood pretty much vertical, shed some nice defused light inside the alleyway.

Recycling

If all goes as planned, I should be back in Vietnam end of August. Meanwhile more of the images can be found in the Ho Chi Minh gallery.

Remember, "wherever you go, there you are"!

BJORN

Follow me on:


Comments

Unknown said…
Welcome to our city ! wonderful pictures.....
We have a jeep group in Ho Chi Minh, you can find them on this link : http://www.xehoivietnam.com/forum/showthread.php?14060-It-s-not-just-a-Jeep-it-s-a-way-of-life

or that link : http://www.facebook.com/groups/VietnamAdventure/

Have a good day !