GALLERY OF THE MONTH AUG 2023: BEST BLACK AND WHITE STREET

 It was Street Photography that made me pick up my first Fujifilm X-series camera just over 10 years ago. This months post shows what I deem is some of my strongest Black and white Street Photography work, shot since 2013; all shot on Fujifilm X-series cameras.

 

But, before we go any further, what is Street Photography? Finding a definition for this genre of photography has always been controversial. The one I've personally used most is any "Image that captures everyday human life and society, generally shot candidly and in public spaces". 

Different from Documentary photography, a good street photo should always create more questions, than it provides the viewer with answers. A good illustration is the pairing of the two images below. One can quickly come to the conclusion that the scene is disgusting... But who says, the sequence of images is not flipped around?

I often get the question, "Why shoot in Black and White"? The answer often varies. First, for me some cities are what I call "Street photography Black and White cities". Examples for me are, Paris, Istanbul and to some extend New York. It doesn't mean I never shoot colour in these, but I normally will gravitate to shooting black and white. The fact that a master street photographer used to shoot a lot in a certain city, often influences the above. Black and white photographer Ara Güller for example, shot most of his live in Istanbul. Call it "nostalgia".

Also, whenever colour becomes a distraction, I'll limit myself to black and white. My most famous street photo ever is the one above. Shot at Brussels airport just before a flight back to Dubai, the image is still being picked up online on a monthly basis. In colour the image however doesn't work at all, due to a variety of not so pleasing colours in the background. 

Forms and patterns, often also work much better in black and white. When I saw this interesting pattern of different zebra crossings downtown Seoul, I knew colour was not an option!

Shadows and silhouettes also work a lot better in black and white.

Lastly, as I'm mainly a colour photographer, I do enjoy shooting black and white. It does however come in periods. As I'm currently in a black and white period, it makes send to make this my "Gallery of the month" blogpost!

The entire gallery, can be found here

Lastly, for all you Fujifilm shooters in the Middle East region, there is a nice opportunity to win some great prizes! Fujifilm Middle East is organizing SOOC SUMMER 2023; a challenge for photographers to submit images Straight Out Of Camera (SOOC), using one of the many Film Simulations. 



I'm honored to be part of the jury! Check out the rules in order to participate in this great challenge here. Submissions are open till September 23rd 2023. 

Good luck!

BJORN




Comments