GALLERY OF THE MONTH - MARCH 2023 - BEST COLOUR STREET PHOTOGRAPHY

It was Street Photography that made me pick up my first Fujifilm X-series camera exactly 10 years ago. This months post provides an insight in my best colour street photography shot in this period. 

But, what is Street Photography exactly? Finding a definition for the genre of photography has always been controversial. The one I've personally used most is any "Image that captures everyday human life and society, generally shot candidly and in public spaces". 

Different from Documentary photography, for myself, a good street photo should always create more questions, than it provides the viewer with answers.

 

While Street photography started almost completely in Black and White, I personally gravitate more to using colour. It's only when colour becomes a distraction that I will change to black and white. The image below is a good illustration how the green and brown complimentary colours work nicely together, adding an additional point of interest.

 

Respecting the above definition, as long as it captures everyday human life, a street photo does not have to have a human in the image. I'm also a strong believer that text should only be included in the image if it adds value. When I framed the image below, I was also attracted to the contrast in the image between a cheap bed space rental and the 5-star hotel in the background.

Everybody left

Whenever possible I do enjoy shooting "candid street photography". Generally the more busy a place is, the easier this becomes. It is important to blend in as a photographer in order to shoot candids efficiently. One can use a variety of techniques for this. I will often use my tiltscreen on the X-T5 or X100V in order to shoot from the hip. Alternatively, one can pretend to shoot something above the subject and then eventually frame the image on the LCD while pretending to review the image. It is the latter technique I used in the image shot in New York city here.

 

It is important to avoid "posed images". Sometimes eye contact works, sometimes it doesn't. For the image here of 3 Afhan bakers in Dubai, I clicked the shutter at the exact moment they saw me. While I framed a few more images with their permission after, none of them reflect the natural reaction of the first one.

 

Unfortunately, privacy laws have restricted candid street photography more and more. Whenever this is the case I will often shoot silhouettes. Having bicycles and umbrellas always make for compelling silhouette images.

 

To check out the entire gallery of what I personally find is my best Colour Street photo work, click here.


BJORN




Comments