Pic(k) of the week 18: SEE THE BIRD? Abstract aerials, Seychelles

Although I've been in and around airplanes virtually non-stop for almost half a century now, the beauty of the view from above, never ceases to surprise me! On my latest photo-adventure to the Seychelles last March, while leisurely flying my drone of the coast of Praslin island, I spotted a lot of green patches on the seabed; the green that looks like being radioactive!

Looking for interesting compositions, I noticed what looked like the head of a bird on the bottom of the ocean... At least this is what "I" was seeing! For me photography and especially abstract aerial work, is all about creating questions rather than providing answers. The image below meets that criteria very well. 

It once again illustrates that aerial photography provides a very unique perspective. Looking at the same from ground (sea level in this case) level would be a non-event. 

Image details:

  • DJI Mavic 2 Pro
  • 1/160s, f4.0, ISO100
  • RAW development in Lightroom Classic using the Modern 7 camera profile 
  • Photoshop CC to remove a few of the specular highlights in the water
The image will be printed and hung amongst some of my other aerial work. For those that haven't checked it out in a while, my AERIAL PORTFOLIO can be found here. If interested in prints of any of these images, please send me a message

Lastly, I received a new shipment of my FOCUS ON THE WORLD BELOW, book. A collection of some of my best Aerial photography shot all over the world. Contact me to receive your signed copy directly send out from Dubai or Belgium depending on the shipping location. 

Remember: “You haven't seen a tree, until you have seen its shadow from the sky" - Amelia Earhart


Comments