Pic(k) of the week 37: FILM IS NOT DEAD - first roll of film in 25 years

A while ago, a photographer friend challenged me to shoot a roll of film on his Leica M6 Rangefinder camera. I didn't need to think twice!

It was my first time using a Leica camera and more than 25 years since I last shot a roll of film. The M6 is a relatively "newer" film camera body; it has a light-meter, so no excuse for being off on the manually shot exposures. Like all Rangefinder Leica's it is of course all manual focus and manual exposure. How difficult can it be?

Getting the exposure right was something I got used to quickly as I'll sometimes doing the same on my digital Fuji's when the conditions are challenging. Obviously with analog photography, one is limited to the ISO (ASA) of the film installed in the camera; there is no, "The light is low, lets bump up the ISO"! My first roll was Ilford HP5 125, which was challenging for late afternoon shooting in the city, while the second, a roll of Ilford HP5 Plus 400, turned out to be much better for my Street Photography work. 

With the ISO 400 roll fitted, I went to one of my favorite Street Photography areas in Dubai; "Satwa", a perfect fit to shoot some more grungy black and white images. 

After having been spoiled with the manual focus peaking on the Fujifilm cameras, I was surprised to see how challenging manual focus is on these cameras in low light and quickly started shooting Hyper-focal distance only. I must say that it did give me even more admiration for the Masters of Street Photography in the mid 20th century! 


Image details:
  • Leica M6 with Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1.2
  • Shot on Ilford HP5 Plus 400
  • EXIF data? No idea... as I forgot to write it down!
  • Negative scanned Photoshop CC for dust removal
I think most photographers will agree that holding (and shooting?) a Leica Rangefinder is indeed something special; the built quality and lack of function buttons, does make it a simple and solid camera. Using it as your Main Street Photography camera in a 21st century environment, might however be a little too simple for my own liking. Obviously opinions differ and I highly respect the people that do so. 

The person that borrowed me the camera, came to my place to develop the film together; something I had never done myself and which I really enjoyed! I've made a short 2 min video about the process, to give you a general idea. Check it out on Vimeo here

Of the 55 images I shot, there are a dozen images I'm happy with. These can be found in the FILM IS NOT DEAD gallery here.

I might be shooting an older Twin Reflex camera on the streets in the future... If I do, you'll hear it here!


Remember: "Film is not dead"

BJORN












     


Comments