Pic(k) of the week 47: GREAT MOMENT IN CAMBODIA

I'm writing this from my hotel room in Siem Reap, on the last day of an amazing photo-adventure to Cambodia. What a trip it has been... so many great experiences that will be engraved in my memory forever! 

One that stood out the most is related to the image below. While strolling through a rural village about an hour out of Siem Reap, I noticed a nice reflection on a scooter parked inside an open motorbike maintenance shop. Quickly positioning myself across the street, I managed to compose the image below. Although the lens used is far too long for classic Street Photography I'm still happy with the result! After framing the shot below, we made a series a Street Portraits of the family and chatted to the three kids which all spoke remarkable good English. Being extremely sweet, we wanted to reward them with a small tip. Something I rarely do, but which I did find appropriate for the circumstances. 

When my wife handed out the money to the youngest of the three, he immediately gave it back to her, and stated the following: "Madam, we have everything, food, a house, clothes. We go to school. Look at us, we are happy. The only thing I know is English. I don't know what to do with money. Please take it back" - remarkable words from a 7 year old!


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T3 with XF 50-140 f2.8, 120mm
  • ISO 800, 1/320s, f18 (such a small aperture to increase the sunburst effect)
  • Acros Film Simulation + Yellow filter, no editing, straight out of camera  (SOOC)
Once the image editing of the more than 3000 images is over, I'll be updating this post with a link to one or two specific galleries. For now, this is the only image uploaded from the trip so far. Meanwhile please check my Instagram account for more here. I'll also blog about my  photo-adventure to Cambodia somewhere in December. 

Lastly, I'm running a FREE Street Photography workshop on THU NOV 22 during the Xposure Photofestival held this week in Sharjah, UAE. The workshop will explain the why, how and where of Street Photography (90 mins) and will be followed by a hourlong photowalk. Fujifilm X-series cameras can be borrowed for free. Please click here to register online. If you don't have one already, you just need to create an account via the link. Places are limited. 

Remember: "It is more important to click with people than to click the shutter" - Alfred Eisenstaedt


BJORN


Comments