Pic(k) of the week 40: STEEET HUNT IN TOKYO - Fujifilm XT-2 with XF16 f1.4

During the month of October, I'll be shooting in my favorite three Street Photography cities worldwide! 

Over the weekend I had the opportunity to shoot in my number one, Tokyo! In a few weeks, I'll be off for a 4 day trip to Istanbul followed by New York city at the end of the month. Yes, October is clearly Street Photograph month for me!

Whenever we fly into Tokyo as airline crew, we stay in the smaller city Narita which is about one hour away from the megapolis Tokyo. Tropical storm Trami, which temporary closed Tokyo Narita airport on Sunday night, gave me an extended stay by 20hrs; this meant visiting my favorite Street Photography city was much more practical! 

Because I knew that the public transport would eventually shut down due to the storm, I had limited time available in order to make it back to my Narita hotel in time. It ended up being an intensive 4 hours of shooting downtown Tokyo. 

The image below was shot close to Shibuya station where one finds the worlds most busy pedestrian crossing. I love how the guy looks at the young lady on the right; a very telling expression which gives the "Street Hunt" phrase the extra dimension!



Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T2 with XF16mm f1.4 lens
  • ISO 6400, f9, 1/100s
  • Lightroom CC for RAW development using the Acros Y Camera profile
Tokyo is known for its great light with deep shadows and amazing highlights; perfect for colour work; see my Tokyo Colour gallery

Since the sky was grey with the occasional rain shower, I decided to limit myself to shooting black and white. The entire gallery of the shoot can be found here

Remember: "Street Photography is like fishing. Catching the fish is more important that eating it" - Thomas Leuthard.

BJORN






Comments