Pic(k) of the week 27: IFE AERIALS - A new personal project is born

Sometimes a new photography project is born by experimentation or even out of boredom. Such was the case the other day when I was traveling in the passenger cabin of an airliner. Nowadays a lot of the modern airliners have great in-flight cameras installed on the nose and lower belly of the aircraft, so passengers can follow what is going on outside. 

While the tail camera on the Airbus A380 I fly for a living, is my personal favorite, I have mainly been disregarding the view directly below as being "not that interesting". Strange if you know that Aerial photography is one of my most favorite forms of photography! 

While watching the view below on the IFE (In-Flight-Entertainment) the other day flying into Brussels, I snapped a quick succesion of shots and was intrigued by the results. Given things pass by very fast (especially once low to the ground), one doesn't have an idea what is coming next. The surprise factor is what makes this type of photography interesting to me! 

While one image captured a cemetery (click here) before landing, I even found the ones taken on the ground intriguing; the yellow taxiway lines I follow every day as a pilot, all of sudden makes for a potential interesting image. 

The image below of the shadow of the airliner I was traveling on, being projected on the runway below, makes for another interesting perspective. 


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T2 with XF18-135 lens 
  • ISO 3200, f4.7, 1/550s, 44mm
  • Lightroom CC Classic for RAW development using Classic Chrome film simulation
The project reminds me of a series called "TV shots" by Belgian Magnum photographer "Harry Gruyaert" who in the 1970's at the start of colour television, was photographing his TV screen.
More images of my new "IFE AERIALS" project can be found here.

Remember: "If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff" - Jim Richardson





Comments