Pic(k) of the week 17: A380 FLYING INTO THE SUNSET

Last week, I had the pleasure to fly an A380 from Dubai to Brussels for a one off ad-hoc flight. Given the size of the aircraft and the fact that a double decker airliner is a very rare sight at Brussels, the flight got a whole lot of media and public attention. A nice video compilation of the arrival and departure can be found here

So although my favorite seat is the one up front, I like to share an image taken on an earlier flight, shot from the passenger cabin. Whenever I'm flying as a passenger, I rarely close my window blinds. Isn't the view outside better than any In-Flight Entertainment? 

I guess it must be the pilot in me... And yes a camera is pretty much always on my side, ready to capture those fleeting moments in life. Such was the case when I spotted anAirbus A380 flying into the sunset.

Occasionally I'm asked about contrails, the white stripes airliners typically leave behind... No, sorry I don't believe in "Chemtrails". 

Anyway, formed out of Condensation and Trails, Contrails form when hot humid air from jet exhausts mixes with environmental air of low humidity and pressure. Depending on humidity and temperature at altitude, they might not form at all, only last a few seconds or stay several minutes. 


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T20 with the XF50mm f2 lens
  • ISO 1600, f4.0, 1/180s
  • Lightroom CC for RAW adjustments using Velvia Camera profile

What attracted me the most in the image below is the beautiful colour palette which is pretty much straight out of camera with a few minor Lightroom adjustments. Beside I also like the simplicity of the image. 

More Airliner images can be found here.

Remember: "Every sunset brings the promise of a new dawn" - Ralph Waldo Emerson


BJORN






Comments