Pic(k) of the week 21: LOST IN CASA - Street Photography with the XF23mm f2

Sometimes I end up going to a city with low expectations and come home with a good number of keeper images. Such was the case on my last visit to Casa (short for Casablanca) in Morocco.

When I first went to Casablanca 15 years ago, I had this pre-conceived idea that I would find a beautiful and exciting North African city; saying I came home a bit disappointed is probably an understatement. Beside the Hassan II Mosque, the worlds second largest mosque, on first sight there is not that much to see in Casablanca. No surprise that most tourists prefer Marrakesh before Moroccos nr.1 Commercial center.

After a 5 year absence, I finally went back to Casa last week with the plan of doing some Colour Street Photography. Diving deep into old Medina, I was pleasantly surprised to discover a complete different Casablanca! A vibrant and lively place which kind of felt like an ancient city of few centuries ago. An exciting place!

Some neighbouring areas however were clearly much poorer and at times looked more like a warzone with beaten down cars and buildings rather than a residential area. A much rougher feel but therefore not less interesting to document. 



Image details: 
  • Fujifilm X-T2 with the XF23mm f2 lens
  • ISO 500, f 9.0, 1/250s
  • RAW development in Lightroom CC using Classic Chrome Camera Profile
The series of images shot in Casa last week, can be found here.

To quote one of my favourite street photographers, Alex Webb, "I like pictures that ask questions, not provide answers!". Is the little girl really lost or is her mum just out of the frame? I want the viewer to answer these questions...

More of my Colour Street Photography can be found here.

Lastly, I've been interviewed by US based French Street Photographer Valerie Jardin for here very popular "Hit the Streets" podcast about the past 24 hour project held on April 1st 2017. To check out the 40' podcast together with my partner in crime from Finland Meri Kuakavaara;  click here!


BJORN






Comments