Pic(k) of the week 32: English field from above

The last few weeks have been all about Aviation Photography; combining my two passions into one! While I'm still processing some of the images shot at Airventure 2015 (Oshkosh, WI, USA), I've attended another bucket-list airshow; "The Wings and Wheels show" organised by the Shuttleworth Collection, in Old Warden close to Bedford, UK. More about this vintage aircraft event in a separate blogpost towards the middle of August.

We flew our 1954 Piper Super Cub down there for the event and came home with another batch of great images that will be processed over the next few weeks. 

Meanwhile, I wanted to share an aerial image I shot, just East of London on my return flight from Old Warden. The image of two lonely trees in a harvested field was shot through the plexiglass of the vintage airplane. As we had a lot of travel gear (tens, sleeping bags, etc...) in the aircraft, it wasn't 100% save to open the side door; something we normally do for aerial photography.

English field from above

I was particularly attracted to the patterns in the field; something that always plays a big role in my aerial photography.

Image details:
Fujifilm X-T1 with the XF18-135 f3.5-5.6R LM OIS WR Fujinon lens
ISO 800, 79mm, f5.3, 1/1500s
Iridient Developer for RAW development, to protect maximum quality in the foliage
Nik ColorEfex Pro 4 with Pro contrast

Even though I've tested and reviewed the 18-135 lens (click here for the review), when it was initially launched, I never ended up buying a copy of this Weather Resistant lens. Now that I've taken it to a few new Aviation events, it pretty much has not left my X-T1 camera body. 

I'll be doing some more aerial photography with the 18-135 lens, as of tomorrow, when we will fly the Piper Cub down to the Mid-Western part of France for an aerial photography tour of the "Castles of the river Loire". 

Till then, fly safe & click that shutter!

BJORN


Comments