Pic(k) of the week 25: Rumbeke castle at dusk

Belgium has about 3000 castles of which 300 are open to the public. One of the finest examples of Renaissance castles is the Rumbeke castle close to my city of birth, Roeselare.

The history of the castle goes back to the 13th century while large restorations took place in the 18th century, when a large park/forest was added around the castle, called "Sterrebos" (Star Forest). I can vividly remember going on numerous school trips to the site.

During World War I, the castle was taken over by the Germans and for a short time was the home of Baron Manfred von Richthofen, better known as the German ace fighter pilot, "Red Barron".

2013 Pic(k) of the week 25: Rumbeke Castle at dusk

A few weeks ago I passed by the castle around 10pm after having visited my parents in the neighbouring city of Roeselare. The sun had set about 15 to 20 mins earlier, allowing for a great twilight. Fortunately I carried my lightweight MyFoto tripod together with my FujiFilm Sexy- (X-E1).

Even though I shot quite a frames, the one with the reflection and long grasses in the foreground was my favourite one of the 20 min shoot!

A much darker silhouette image as well as some more images of this beautiful castle can be found here

Image details:
FujiFilm X-E1 with the 18-55 lens
ISO 200, 33mm, f5.6, shutter speeds between 0.7s and 12s (3 exposures)
RAW development of 3 files with Lightroom 4.4
Merge to HDR Pro in Photoshop in a 32 bit image 
Finetuned 32 bit image in Lightroom 4.4
Nik ColorEfex for contrast adjustment


BJORN






Comments