Pic(k) of the week 33: Vintage aircraft over Belgium

It is a given that we tend to do the things we really want to do while on leave. After all, that's what a holiday is about. Over the years I've however always tried making my profession of my life passions! Being a pilot & photographer, I do exactly that! Yes there are quite a few aircraft types I would still like to fly and there are hundreds of places I want to go and shoot... I'm sure you get the idea!

The last few weekends were spent at one of the many Summer fly-ins. These are pilots and other aviation enthusiasts get togethers, were one celebrates the beauty of aviation. Not necessarily being a full on air show, they are more often a social event.

2012 Pic(k) of the week 33 : Warbirds over Belgium

The image above of a beautiful restored 1955 T-28 Trojan was made at the Keiheuvel fly-in end of last month. Post WW2, the T-28 was extensively used as a primary trainer for the USAF (US Air Force) and  today still is very popular with warbird collectors. The Trojan also saw some active combat in the Vietnam war in the late sixties.

It takes a huge amount of passion and very large financial commitment, to operate large radial engined aircraft like the T-28. 

Image details:
Nikon D800 with 70-200 2.8 VR2 lens
ISO 1250, 130mm, f22, 1/320s
RAW processing with Lightroom 4.1

Next Saturday and just before my return to Dubai, I'll fly a single-engine aircraft to the 10th edition of the Zoersel (EBZR) fly-in. During the "Photoflying days" there will be a wide variety of participating aircraft; including a Spitfire, Hurricane, P-38 Lightning, P-51 Mustang, T-6 Harvards, multiple DC-3's and lots of other aviation memorabilia. All of the participants can be found here

Lastly a new gallery called "Vintage aircraft", in the Bjorn Moerman Photography Aviation section, has just been opened; . Even though there seems to be no official definition for a vintage aircraft, I go with "older than myself". Born in 1971, one can do the math!

Remember, "The worst day of flying, still beats the best day of real work".




Comments