Pic(k) of the week 42: PARAGLIDER TAKE-OFF, LIMA - PERU

As I’m writing this, our Peru photo-adventure has come to a close. The 12 day trip started and ended in the capital Lima; a city along the Pacific with close to 10 millions inhabitants (1/3 of the total population of Peru) .What it trip it has been! Great experiences, great food and some good photography. What else can a Travel photographer wish for?

During the Southern Hemisphere winter, Lima is known for its morning fog and generally overcast skies. This is due to the colder water of the Pacific in what is otherwise supposed to be a tropical climate. 

On our second afternoon there, there was a lot of paragliding going on in Miraflores, ones of the better neighborhoods in Lima. With the sun breaking through the overcast over the ocean, it was a great opportunity to shoot silhouettes. 

I decided to still leave a little bit of detail in the image below (especially on the parasail). While I experimented with black and white for the shot, the warm glow of the sun peaking through the clouds added quite a bit to the overal atmosphere. 


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T3 with the new XF16-80 f4 lens
  • ISO 160, f5.6, 1/680s
  • Straight out of camera (SOOC) jpeg shot in Velvia Film Simulation mode
During the trip I only brought my 12 inch iPad Pro as I wanted to see how it can replace my MacBook laptop during my travels. Since the recently released iPadOS operating system, one can now connect external harddrives to the iPad which allows for a in the field photo back-up. As expected it is still a bot of a work in progress there were still a few bugs here and there.

I've just completed the editing process; images can be found in their dedicated Peru gallery here. One can of course expect to see some more Pic(k) of the weeks over the next few weeks.

Using the XF16-80 lens as my main travel lens has been great. I shot 90% of  the images on the lens and found it a great travel solution. In case you missed it, my XF16-80 lens review can be found here


Remember: "Those that fly solo, have the strongest wings” - anon


Comments