Pic(k) of the week 38: Those magnificent men in their Flying Machines

Whenever I come back from a photo-trip and I'm able to replace an older image with a new "portfolio" image, I know it has been a success. My portfolio's ( Architectural, Aviation and Travel ) are strictly kept below 30 images and only contain my best work!
This was the case after my visit to the Oldtimer Fliegertreffen in Hahnweide last week.

With the initial image editing now done, I'm in the final stages of writing a three page spread for a large European aviation magazine. I will stick to my initial promise of blogging about this exciting vintage aircraft event, in about a weeks time...

So, the image that meanwhile did make it into my Aviation Portfolio, is this one of a Bleriot XI, flown by its Swedish owner, Mikael Carlson.

2013 Pic(k) of the week 38: Those magnificient men in their flying machines

The Blériot XI, was the first aircraft to cross the "English Channel" with Louis Blériot at the controls. This more than 100 years ago, on 25 July 1909. The French aviator was also the first pilot to cross the Alps and the first to "loop the loop" in a flying machine!

The particular airplane above, is completely original and not a replica like many others around! It is in fact a Thulin A, which is a Blériot built under license in Sweden. The date of manufacturing is not exactly known, but it seems to be built somewhere between 1914 and 1918. Carlson completely restored the airplane and flies it with the original Gnome-Omega 50hp engine. He is what I'll call, " a real aviator"!

Image details:
Nikon D800 with 70-200 2.8 VR2 Nikkor lens
ISO 100, 200mm, f11, 1/400s
RAW development in Lightroom 5
Pro Contrast + Detail enhancement with Nik Color Efex Pro 4
Black and White conversion in Nik Silver Efex 2

For the ones that can't wait for the upcoming Hahnweide blogpost, please have a sneak peek at the images here!

Remember; "You wanna fly, you gotta give up the shit that weighs you down" - Tonni Morrison


BJORN





Comments