Pic(k) of the week 52: BURJ DUO - 10 YEARS PICK OF THE WEEK COMPLETE!

First of all to all the ones celebrating, a MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Hard to believe that we are once again at 52 of the year. What is even more remarkable to me, is that I just completed 10 complete years of my Pic(k) of the week series; 520 weeks with no interruption, never missed one! What started in January 2010 as an experiment to motivate me and go out and shoot more, grew to something much more substancial.

Here is that original post from a snowy Belgium in early 2010!

The last Pic(k) of the week comes from Dubai where I tried shooting the full moonrise from one of my favorite places for these type of shots. Facing the Eastern horizon one can see both the Burj Khalifa and Burj al Arab from the east side of the Palm Jumeirah. 

While the visibility was fine to see the Burj Khalifa (worlds highest tower) which is 15km away, the moonrise was unfortunately hidden by the cloud cover in the east... As this can only be shot one day every 28 days or so, there is of course a limited success rate. Sometimes we tend to forget to photography is often all about patience and persistence. Needless to say that I'll try again once the conditions are right. 

I do however love how the Burj al Arab which just celebrated its 20th anniversary in the foreground, reflects the golden light coming from the sunset in the West. 


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-Pro 3 with the XF100-400 lens
  • ISO 160, f11, 4sec, 100mm
  • RAW development in Lightroom CC
  • DxO ColorEfex pro 4 for optimal contrast and gradient neutral density filter
The image is a single shot; no HDR technique applied. 

While I love shooting in camera jpeg for pretty much all of my Street Photography, I do believe there is still a place for shooting RAW for shots like the one above.

I did shoot the a Pic(k) of the week in 2016 from the same location, with a full moon in the frame. Click here to check it out. 

I do want to wish all blog readers and followers a HAPPY 2020. Hoping the New Year might bring you joy and happiness!

Remember:"You don't take a photograph. You make it" - Ansel Adams






Comments