Pic(k) of the week 39: FINE-ART LOOK AT BUSINESS BAY BRIDGE

Fine-art Architectural Black and White photography has become very popular over the last few years. In 2014 Architect and Photographer Julia Anna Gospodarou and Joel Tjintjelaar wrote a great book on the subject titled Black and White Fine Art photography. I bought the 424 page ebook back then and have used parts of it in my Architectural photography. Click here for more info. 

Some people spend days on a single image, making tens of small selections in Photoshop, while playing with highlights and shadows. While I admire the work, it is something I've never been able to do as I personally like to go out and shoot rather than spend time editing. 

While testing the new Fujifilm XF16-80 f4 lens, I went to one of my favorite places to shoot long time exposures; below the Business Bay bridge in Dubai. One of the resulting images reminded me somewhat of the the above technique straight out of camera. After having spend about 15-20min in Lightroom to optimise some of the shadows and highlights I called it a day. Personally I'm pleased with the resulting image. Is it Fine-art? That is entirely up to the viewer to make that decision!


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T3 with XF16-80mm f2 lens
  • ISO 160, f11, 1/2s, 16mm
  • Lightroom CC to develop RAW using Acros Red filter Camera Profile
  • Lightroom CC to accentuate some highlights and shadows
One of the newer Lightroom functions often overlooked is Range masking. It is a simple but powerful way of making Luminosity masks done in Photoshop. Is it exactly the same? No it isn't, but it is a good starting point. More about Lightroom Range masking can be found here.

Please check out my Fujifilm XF16-80 lens review which can be found on this blog.

Remember: "We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

BJORN






Comments