Pic(k) of the week 29: FOKKER DR.I TRIPLANE - MEAUX AIRSHOW 2018

Sunday June 24th, I attended the Fete Aérienne du Centenaire 2018 at Meaux, just east of Paris as both a airshow participant (static display) and aviation photographer. In order to really appreciate the event the best we spent the night camping under the wing of our vintage Piper Super Cub which we flew in on Saturday! 

2018, marks the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I; because of the great number of casualties, often referred to as the "Great War"; an estimated 16 million people left there lives during the 1914-1918 period! That is 50% more than the total population of my home country Belgium or the UAE in which I currently reside.   

The third edition of the airshow held at the beautiful grass strip of Meaux (France), brought in a number of World War I airplanes (mostly replicas) and attracted a large number of reenactors from most countries involved in the war.

The fact that most of those reenactors take there roles very serious, makes for  great photo opportunities! The one below of a Fokker DR.I triplane and a "German" officer is a prime example of this!

The Fokker DR.I Triplane is close to my heart as it was first delivered in 1917 to a German occupied airport very close to where I'm from in Western Belgium; Markebeeke airport. Less than a week later, World War I ace Manfred von Richthofen shot down his first of many aircraft in the Triplane. 


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T2 with the XF18-135 lens
  • 1/160s, f11, ISO 200, 29mm
  • Lightroom CC  for Raw development
  • Photoshop CC to clone out some minor distractions not part of a 1917 scene
The gallery of all images shot at the 2018 Meaux airshow, can be found here.


Remember: "The murder of a man is still murder, even in wartime" - Manfred von Richthofen.

BJORN



Comments