Pic(k) of the week 24: PALAZZO PUBBLICO, SIENA - FUJIFILM X-T100

When I decided to take the brand new Fujifilm X-T100 with me on a weeklong Travel photography trip to Italy, I supposed it would be used as my general walk around and Street Photography camera and not as my main camera. A Fujifilm X-H1, which comes in at the complete other spectrum of the X-series (largest and most expensive X-series), was to take the large majority of  the Landscape photography work. More on that in a future Pic(k) of the week...

The small, entry level X-T100 did however perform very well on the trip; even on some of the Architectural/Travel work. Unfortunately Lightroom and Camera RAW were not able to convert X-T100 RAW files at the time I was traveling. Therefore all of the X-T100 images were in camera jpegs; the main reason I did not want to use it as my main camera for the trip. I expect Lightroom to release the X-T100 RAW converter anytime soon now.  

For the ones interested that missed it, my First Look review of the X-T100 can be found here.

The image below of the 102m Torre del Mangia in Siena, consists of 3 jpeg exposures blended together in Lightroom, using the HDR function. Although I'm a big fan of Fujifilm jpegs for my Street Photography, I rarely edit them. While this was clearly pushing my comfort zone, I am quite happy with the resulting image below!


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T100 with the XF14 f2.8 lens
  • ISO 200, f11, shutter speeds between 1/200s and 1/1500s
  • Lightroom CC to blend the 3 images
  • Nik ColorEfex Pro for optimal contrast
More images shot in Tuscany can be found here

Although the X-T100 and X-H1 are two very different cameras, it was remarkable how I could easily switch from one to the other without hindering the creative process. The Tuscany gallery has images from both and I must say that I personally struggle to see the difference in image quality on most (if no all)!

Remember: "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to look without a camera" - Dorothea Lange



Comments