Pic(k) of the week 44: TOKYO STREETHUNT with the Fujifilm X-E3

Last week I spend 4 days in the worlds most populous city on the planet; Tokyo Japan a megapolis with close to 38 million people which is always popular with Street Photographers. 

I'm intrigued by how efficiently public transport in the city is run. To put things into perspective, Tokyo Metro which has close to 200 km of metro lines and moves almost 7 million people every day; and that for only one of the public transport options! 

Over the years, I've been following the work of German photographer Michael Wolf quite closely. In his "Tokyo Compression" series he has been documenting commuters being smashed against the steamy Tokyo metro windows. Click here to check out the project. 

When I saw a train pull-up with "steamy windows" on the first day I was there, I was automatically drawn to Michael's images. As the train was not completely full, the faces were not directly pushed against the windows but it still made for an interesting image. To me it also reminds me of the late Saul Leiters work; one of my favorite Masters of Color Street Photography!

Although other trains were pretty full as well, this was the only train where the condensation phenomenon was observed; not sure what exactly triggered it on this specific train. 



Image details:

  • Fujifilm X-E3 with the XF23mm f2 lens
  • ISO 6400, 1/110s, f6.4
  • RAW development in Lightroom CC Classic using the Classic Chrome Film Simulation Camera profile
Over the years, New York has been my favorite city for Street Photography but I think Tokyo might have just taken its first place! A gallery of my Street Photography images shot in Tokyo can be found here

The trip to Tokyo was an in the field test of the brand-new Fujifilm X-E3, which I reviewed here last month. I'm working on a separate blogpost with some new findings over the next few weeks. 

Last but not least, I'll be giving a Street Photography talk during the 2017 Xposure Photofestival in Sharjah (close to Dubai, UAE) for Fujifilm Middle East on WEDN NOV 22 at 2pm; a short photowalk at 4pm will follow. More info will be shared in next weeks Pic(k) of the week!

Hope to see you at Xposure, 


BJORN




Comments