Pic(k) of the week 39: ARCHITECTURAL FINE-ART in FRANKFURT with the Fujifilm XF 16mm f1.4

Over the Summer months, I typically shoot far less Architectural work than over the rest of the year. This is largely because of the steamy temperatures through the Gulf region from June onwards till end of September.

I do however manage to shoot personal Architectural work while travelling for the airline job; the majority of these being Fine Art Architectural Black and White images.

During a 24 hr stay in Frankfurt (Germany) last week, I was lucky with the weather... Dramatic cloudy skies, which work perfect for the type of images I had in mind!

The image below is a handheld exposure of the Silberturm (Silver Tower), shot with the new Fujinon XF 16mm f1.4 lens; a great architectural lens. As always is the case for my Black and white work, I shoot in RAW+jpeg, with the camera set to either B&W Red or Yellow. While I often keep the excellent Fujifilm out of camera jpegs, the best images deserve some more RAW editing.

I was especially attracted to the deep dark sky and the reflection in the windows.

Silberturm, Frankfurt

Image details:
Fujifilm X-T1 with the XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujinon lens
ISO 800, 1/320s, f9
RAW file editing in Iridient Developer
Nik SilverEfex for Black and White conversion
Lightroom CC for selective sharpness and dodge & burn

Fine-art Architectural photography often goes hand in hand with long-exposures. However, as I was travelling very light on the trip to Frankfurt, the tripod and my set of Formatt-Hitec Neutral and Gradual density filters had to stay home. But I will be taking all the gear to another Architectural shoot in Dusseldorf (Germany), tomorrow!

Lastly a great eBook recommendation: one of the best books on "Fine-Art Architectural" photography is, "From Basics to Fine-art"; written by renown photographers Julia Anna Gospodaru and Joel Tjintjelaar. This +400 page book is a great inspiration for everybody that wants to dive into the great world of Architectural Black and white work.

More images of my Frankfurt trip can be found here.

Since Instagram has removed the restriction of only being able to post square images, I have become a much more active Instagrammer; please make sure you follow me on Instagram here!

Remember: "Architecture begins where engineering ends" - Walter Gropius.


BJORN


Comments