Pic(k) of the week 52: The year of resolution comes to an end

My third "Pic(k) of the week" season is now coming to an end! Yes another year is just about over and done...

Technologically for me it has been "the year of resolution"; not the resolutions we tend to make New Years eve, but the "pixel resolution" ones. It all started early 2012 when I picked up an iPhone 4S with an 8 megapixel camera and more importantly with its great high resolution "Retina" display. 

When the Nikon D800 was announced early February, I was one of the first to place an order online. This 36 million pixel mega-monster has proved to be extremely useful with almost all clients loving the extra resolution!

Next was a new iPad; showing off your best work on one of these 2048 by 1536 pixel retina displays, is jaw-dropping

Whenever I was on the road, my 3 year old Macbook wasn't able to keep up with the huge 36 million D800 files. A 15inch Retina Macbook with a SSD (Solid State Drive) was the way forward.

My last digital purchase mid December had nothing to do with bumping up resolution but all with reducing the camera size... Over the years, I've been on the look-out for a smaller camera body to take with me on my world travels. The answer is the FujiFilm X-E1 camera with the 18-55 lens. Even though I have not been able to fully explore the capabilities of this CMOS mirror-less, it seems to exceed all expectations!

2012 Pic(k) of the week 52: The year of resolution comes to an end

The image above made at the Meydan horse racing centre, was one of the first coming out of my brand-new Sexy-1 (non-official nickname for X-E1).

Image details:
FujiFilm X-E1 with 18-55 lens
ISO800, 83mm, f5, 1/1400s
RAW development in Lightroom 4.3
Black and White in Lightroom 4.3

Even though this will not be a replacement for my full frame D800, the much smaller size, is a joy to travel with. End of the year I plan on spending a week in my home country Belgium where I should be able to give the X-E1 a good workout.

Just like the " 50 days with the D800 "post earlier this year, I will give you my thoughts on the new baby from Japan!


Remember, " January 1st is the first blank page of a 365 page book, write a good one"!

Happy 2013 and see you on the other side!

BJORN
Follow me on:











Comments

Unknown said…
I was thinking of getting me one of these as well. Can't wait for your thoughts on it.
Great post.
Take care and happy landings!