Pic(k) of the week 45: Fly away

November 7 will remain a black day in Belgian aviation history. Exactly 11 years ago today, the national airline of Belgium, Sabena, was declared bankrupt.

I was one of the 7000 or so employees that was laid off when Europe's second oldest airline (after KLM), stopped operating. It is a day to be remembered...

Even though a lot of people struggled finding jobs in the aftermath of the events, I consider myself being lucky with the move to Dubai a few months later. In the last 10 years, I was able to built an aviation career which likely would have been very difficult with my old airline. Unfortunately one sometimes needs dramatic events like these, to look beyond the horizon for better opportunities.   

Back to photography. Yesterday morning, I photographed a few airliners taking to the skies at Dubai international airport. 

2012 Pic(k) of the week 45: Fly away

One of them was this departing Airbus A380 which I titled, " Fly away". I like how the contrail of the airliner in the bottom left corner, keeps the eye inside the frame.

Image details:
Nikon D800 with 70-200 2.8 VR2 lens
ISO 250, 200mm, f4.5, 1/8000s
RAW development in Lightroom 4.2
Nik ColorEfex for contrast adjustment
Nik SilverEfex 2 to desaturate the image

Remember; " No one has ever collided with the sky"

BJORN
Follow me on:




Comments